photographs: Angelos Christofilopoulos
Kosovo has a total area of 10.887 sq. km and borders Montenegro, Albania, Serbia and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The population is just over 2 million people, of which 92% are Albanian-speaking, while the remaining 8% consists of Serbs, Turks, Slavophone Muslims, Roma and others. Pristina is the capital and the largest city of Kosovo. The word Kosovo stems from “Blackbird” and “field”. In 1999, after a bloody civil war, Kosovo was placed under transitional UN administration and a NATO-led military protection.